Monday

Doc Powell at Jazz In the Spirit Concert!


I was wonderfully excited to learn that contemporary jazz guitarist, Doc Powell would be performing shortly after my flight arrived in Los Angeles on Friday, Sept 2nd. It seems that for the past year I've wanted to see this artist perform but either he would be somewhere I couldn't be or I would just miss him perform in a city by one week or something like that. Earlier this year, in May, I thought these missing out episodes would change but I couldn't believe that inclement weather was the reason an outdoor, already purchased tickets concert event featuring Doc Powell as well as other great artists such as George Duke, Marion Meadows, Roy Ayers was cancelled.
I was like...oh well...life goes on.



Life does go on but within 4 months I did finally hear and see him perform and I truly enjoyed every moment as not only does his music sound so good but he is one with each song he plays with his own unique style of head motions. I raved when I heard "We'll Make It Last" track from his Inner City Blues CD at this recent LIVE show. Awesome song and awesome CD but on his Cool Like That CD, my favorite tracks are Hatujambo and Push.

Doc Powell's has worked with many rnb icons such as Aretha Franklin, Jeffrey Osborne as well as Grover Washington, Jr., but he gained his first international exposure and recognition while touring with the late Luther Vandross back in the 80's & 90's. His delicate guitar riffs are heard in songs by Luther such as Forever, For Always, For Love; Busy Body; The Night I Fell In Love; Give Me The Reason; and with the Stop To Love track he has this cool "Rock It" groove going.

Solo CD's to his credit include:

97th & Columbus
Life Changes
Inner City Blues
Laid Back
Cool Like That
I Claim the Victory

Word's out that he is working on another recording project that will be released soon!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the word of encouragement!

i'm thinking about setting up another blogger that caters to the sell of retail products and such similar to what you are marketing as i have an entrepreneurial spirit too! i will post or announce when the new blog is up and running suitable for selling. in the mean time, i hope you are checking out the jazz links such as the JUST RIGHT online radio site!

9/06/2005 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A real enlightening blog...

9/09/2005 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog ! Keep up the good work.

I have a lesko site. It covers help from lesko on free government grants, and free government money related topics.
Please check it out if you get time :-)

9/09/2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lesko site owner...thank you for your post.

there is NOW another new site for posting your product and services for FREE. this may interest you as well credoninc site owner.

Go Here:

The Online Marketplace

9/09/2005 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mandi,

You know, you've got that right about patience paying off. It was well worth the wait.

I wanted to meet Doc personally after the concert but it was getting so late and I had a very long day already starting in the wee hours of the morning plus flying out to Los Angeles. Quite a lot of thrills for me in one day. I slept really good once my head hit the pillow that night!

In respect to the title track "Inner City Blues"...that was from the late Marvin Gaye's original track.

Hope you'll hear that whole CD by him...it's really, really nice...still sounds so fresh even though it was recorded several decades ago.

9/18/2005 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



CounterData.com

website advertising sydney
website advertising sydney Counter